Essex – Thanks to a generation donation from First Alert Canada/ Resideo Products and Solutions, 120 hardwired smoke alarms will be distributed to local residents in the Town of Essex with the support of Essex Fire and Rescue Services. The hardwired smoke alarms are available to local residents on a first come, first serve basis.
For maximum protection, smoke alarms should be replaced every 10 years. Residents in need of a new hardwired smoke alarm are encouraged to complete the online form at www.essex.ca/SmokeAlarm, call 519-776-7132, or visit Fire Station 1 (55 Alice Street North) to request an alarm.
“This is a fantastic opportunity to support our residents in need of a smoke alarm and ensure the safety of our community.” said Rick Arnel, Fire Chief. “This would not be possible without the generous support of First Alert Canada/ Resideo Products and Solutions”.
Essex Fire and Rescue is also offering the following advice on smoke alarm maintenance:
- Never remove batteries from smoke alarms. If false alarms are a problem, try moving the alarm to another location or purchase an alarm with a pause feature that temporarily silences the alarm.
- Replace smoke alarms every 10 years.
- Test smoke alarms once a month and replace the batteries every year.
- Clean your smoke alarms often by following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Ensure that all members of your household know what to do when the smoke alarm sounds.
- Develop a home fire escape plan and practice it.
First Alert by Resideo has been protecting homes and families since 1958. They have become the most trusted brand in fire safety by offering reliable smoke alarms, carbon monoxide alarms, fire extinguishers and more to help protect what matters most.